SMART BRAKE for
There are all kinds of reasons for sitting in a wheelchair, and those who do need to take care of their health - they are more exposed to shoulder pain and inflammation in hands and upper body. With SmartBrake, you can reduce the risk of these pains and save energy at the same time. SmartBrake is light weight, and it will not make the chair larger in any way - just safer. SmartBrake let you save the energy to the important stuff.
A safer, multipurpose brake:
Learn all about SMART BRAKE.
A complete brake kit contains:
Add extra components - combine multiple remotes with multiple brake units.
• Universal disc brake solution, foldable/fixed frames
• Maintain original parts (wheels, axle, quick release)
• Fits steel/fiber spokes
• Strong brake force in all conditions (rain, snow, mud)
• Brake and parking for active user and companion
• Adds <1kg weight, and 0-1cm width on chair
• Vs. drum brake: Reduce 2-3 kg and 2-3cm width
SMART BRAKE is a multipurpose brake technology, applicable across bicycles, trikes, wheelchairs and other activity equipment. We combine our wireless technology with well-known components such as Tektro Auriga disc calipers and Magura HS11 rim brakes (other calipers can be used, e.g. Shimano, SRAM). SMART BRAKE enhances the functionality of traditional brake systems. SMART BRAKE will comply with any application already using wired brakes (disc/rim). Contact us if you want help finding the right kit to your vehicle.
We have several thousand brake units in active use worldwide. SMART BRAKE has been thoroughly tested by the team and customers for more than 5 years, in all weather conditions and harsh environment.
Our team make no compromise on safety. Each SMART BRAKE system should have backup, either a parallel SMART BRAKE system or manual brake solution. SMART BRAKE has fail-safe integrated; In case of technical issues or low battery level (<15%), the system will automatically activate the brake until full stop (slow stop). The user can manually release the brake, to finish the trip (using the secondary brake).
Learn more about fail-safe
SMART BRAKE components are mainly made out of ABS (hard plastic) and aluminum. The main criteria for material selection are tolerance, low weight and signal stability. Our materials and components have been thoroughly tested for tolerance, sealing (leakage) and signal strength/stability.
SMART BRAKE is invented and developed in Norway, by a small team of experienced industrial designers, mechanical engineers and software developers. They all share the same passion for sports, and a drive to develop high quality products enabling more people to be active on a daily basis.
Our products are assembled, tested and shipped from our headquarters outside Oslo, Norway. The Norwegian mountains and harsh environment provide the optimal test conditions for outdoor equipment, such as SMART BRAKE.
- The Brake Unit needs to be turned off to start the process. (If on, push the Power button one time)
- On the Brake Unit, push and hold in the Bluetooth button until the LED starts a repetitive flashing. The light signal indicates that the unit is ready to start synchronizing
- Place the Brake Control to be used close to the Brake Unit. Pull the lever/push the button on the control and hold. When BC and BU are connected the light signal will disappear
- Start up the Brake Unit by pushing the Power button once
- To connect multiple brake controls, repeat the process
One of the units are “master” and the other is “clone”, following the main unit.
- The Brake Units need to be turned off to start the process. (If on, push the Power button one time)
- On the master BU, push and hold in the Power button until the LED starts a repetitive flashing. The light signal indicates that the unit is ready to start synchronizing
- On the clone BU, push and hold in the Power button until the LED starts a repetitive flashing. The light signal indicates that the unit is ready to start
- The clone will automatically connect to the main Brake Unit. When the Brake Units are connected the light signal will disappear
- Start up the system by pushing the Power button once on both Units
- To connect multiple Brake Units, repeat the process
See our instruction videos for more information (link)
Remember to charge the Brake Unit and Brake Lever before first use, by connecting the USB charger included in the kit via the USB port.
Estimated charging time:
– Brake Unit: 3,5 hours
– Brake Lever: 2,5 hours
Hand Controller and Brake Trigger use replaceable batteries (1+ years lifetime)
Our team handles all service inquiries directly through email, chat and phone. Before contacting us, we recommend having a look at our instruction videos
In case the products need service in our workshop, we organize shipment with our global partner DHL Our service team are the same people
developing the technology; this ensures that your SMART BRAKE is upgraded and repaired by the most competent and experienced personnel.
Clean the Brake Unit and Brake Lever using a cloth with water and mild soap. Avoid using running water at high pressure on any of our products.
SMART BRAKE is the world’s first wireless brake system for sports and mobility equipment. With 3 different remote controllers, users can easily control brake and parking with their fingertips. SMART BRAKE is modular and can be built according to your needs!
SMART BRAKE can be applied across bicycles, wheelchairs, frontwheels, cargo bikes and more. Find your application here
Learn more about our technology here
All SMART BRAKE remote controllers are wireless and have 20-30 meters signal range. They communicate via radio frequency (RF) and do not interfere with other power sources or transmitters. All remotes can be connected and used in parallel.
Hand Control, also referred as Companion Control, is the two-button control:
(Brake): Push the button to increase the brake pressure and release the button to release the brake pressure.
(P): Parking brake function which lock the brakes. To unlock the brake, press the (brake) button.
Type of battery in the Hand Control: 3.7V 190mAh, Li-Polymer, 1+ year life.
Brake Trigger, also referred as Thumb Brake.
With the Brake Trigger, you can activate the brake simply by the tip of your finger. With 80 points resolution, you control the brake force gradually, according to your needs.
(P) Activate parking brake by pushing the lever 4 times within 5 second interval.
Type of battery in the remote control: CR2032 (3.7V 190mAh, Li-Polymer). 1+ year life.
Active brake – To activate the brake, simply pull the lever towards you as a normal bike lever.
Parking brake (p) – To activate the parking brake, push the handle away from you one notch. When parking brake is activated, the controller lights up a red light.
Handgrip size: The brake lever position can be adjusted according to hand size. By setting the lever in preferred position the technology automatically adjust itself to obtain proper braking force per degree of lever movement.
If decreasing the distance from the lever to handlebar: Do 5 full brake lever movements. You will remain full braking effect after completing this routine.
If increasing the distance from the lever to handlebar: Do 1 full brake lever movement. You will regain full braking effect immediately.
Can I use the Brake Lever on both sides of the handlebar?
Yes, the Brake Lever is made symmetric to fit both side of the handlebar. Simply turn the Brake Lever around.
Why does the Brake Lever have two notches?
The second notch is made for future functions, and are for now only an extension of the parking brake.
The Brake Unit is a mechanical electronic control box for the brakes. It receives signals from the remote controller and transmit them to a function.
Inside the Brake Unit is a motor that push a piston into the reservoir. Mineral oil will from there go into the brakes, providing increased brake pressure.
The Unit is powered by re-chargeable battery, providing capacity for est. 4 000 full brake cycles from fully charged battery.
How to start the Unit?
- Push one time on the Power button to start the system. When starting you will hear the motor preform a braking test and a red blinking light occurs.
- Activate all remotes by triggering them. IF not all remote are activated after powering up the system, SMART BRAKE will activate fail-safe.
How to turn off the Unit?
Hold the activation button for 5 seconds until a red light appears inside the USB latch. SMART BRAKE goes into sleeping mode (no power used) after 60 minutes of inactivity. To wake up the system, turn the unit on and activate all remotes by triggering them. IF not all remote are activated after powering up the system, SMART BRAKE will activate fail-safe.
By activating the parking brake from the control, the Unit locks the brakes and goes into a sleeping mode. From parking brake mode, SMART BRAKE will not be activated simply by moving the vehicle. You need to release the P-brake from your controller
How many Brake Units do I need?
Each SMART BRAKE Unit provides enough brake force to stop 100 kg (sum of user + vehicle)
0-100 kg = 1 brake unit
100-200 kg = 2 brake units
200+ kg = 3 brake units
One Brake Unit can connect with two calipers or rim brakes simultaneously (Y-connection).
Key factors to consider when selecting your SMART BRAKE kit:
– Total weight of vehicle + user
– Scope of use, e.g. speed, steepness of tracks, etc
– Disc brakes will normally have shorter stopping distance than rim brakes